Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sleep Paralysis

Have you ever experienced Sleep Paralysis?
Sleepingwoman_by_Porcelaingirl
Off and on from childhood I have experienced sleep paralysis. It is crazy scary.
*
Most recently was this evening. I was laying on the couch and dozed off.
I remember it being a very intermittent sleep.
Mom came in the living room and turned on “Dirty Jobs” show.
This episode was about dog sledding.
Not coincidently (I’m sure) I was dreaming about being at a dog sledding camp.
I remember waking up feeling the dog against my leg and trying to move.
I could not, and fell back asleep.
I woke again, tried to move, couldn’t and started to panic.
I tried to jiggle my legs, and talk…nothing, then I fell back asleep.
I woke again, couldn’t moved and internally squirmed for what felt like a long time…finally forcing my eyes open.
I was AWAKE!
I asked mom if she heard me trying to get up and she said that I was making a lot of noise but she just thought it was me sleeping (because I do make cute little sighing sounds in my sleep)…
I was like NO you should have woke me up!
She thinks I must have gotten this from my dad’s side of the family because she has never experienced anything like that.
*
I remember a few times as a child sleeping and not being able to open my eyes or move when I woke.
And I remember it being terrifying.
I would try my hardest to say “mom, mom, MOM”
and nothing would come out.
*
I am just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
*
Maybe this is why I am scared of every having to have surgery and be unconscious. Once I saw a 20/20 report on people who have had surgery and their minds woke but not their bodies and they felt all the pain…HOW SCAREY. Luckily so far I’ve never had to be unconscious. I have a feeling I would flip-out if I was told I had to be put under.
*
Here is a definition of sleep paralysis I found on-line.
Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the
brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "after which the individual may experience panic symptoms and the realization that the distorted perceptions were false".
Slide1

No comments:

Post a Comment