Friday, April 24, 2009

Fabric

I've become rather fascinated with fabric.
This is my collection of found fabrics. There is more, this is a sampling.


It is beautiful, intricate, unique. Fabric can bring about the nostalgic feeling of times gone by, be the 'in' look, or look edgy trying to beat the new trend.

You reveal a piece of yourself when you decorate. I'm sure their have been studies done on what personalities match what colors. I like to think that I would have those tests fooled. That I can't be put into a decorating box (HA!)

Fabric is an amazingly simple way to make a substantial impact. It can be expensive. You have to ask your self, "Am I willing to make such a commitment?" I don't know about you but I am not one for commitment in décor.

That is why I purchase my fabric at thrift stores. In my town there is one in particular that gets sample squares, and remnant bolts of upholstery/regular fabric.
The beauty of getting these fabric so frugally is that I can change things up whenever the mood strikes me. Some time when you are having one of THOSE days you just want to change something and yep you can with these!


There is something exciting about finding a great print or texture among some UGLY rejects. My heart beats faster, the sight of the 3 dollar price tag stapled to the corner makes me feel in love.

The thing is...
Well I mean... I can't...
what I need to say...
Is... I can't sew. Never could and don't see myself ever becoming prolific. Oh believe me, I've tried. No-sow, iron on tape, and a glue gun is my best friend.

Here are some of my primitive projects.

This is a clearance grass blind that I cut to fit into the back and doors of the the shelves flanking our fireplace, I think hot glued ribbon around the edges to finish it off


I put these fabric panels into this desk the same as the picture above


This is made of a 3 dollar thrift store frame and sample fabric from my favorite treasure store.
Then I nailed this cross to the middle. I need to paint the nail hanging it up white so for the purposes of this picture pretend its white


A couple of the sample fabric the green and purple on is really texturally interesting, the purple is raised and soft


This is the outer door to my room, I took some fabric cut it to size and nailed it up. I think they really work with the door. The finish detail isn't complete, I have to figure out what I want to do.


my room just showing how I used the fabric there


table that is right inside the my door. I love the layered look, the textures and patterns and shininess work really well together


this is the one of the top sections of my entertainment center. I found this fun green sample rectangle. I Velcro it to the top so that I can put books in the back and they are hidden, and it also makes a great backdrop for the frames ect...we put in front of it.

I found this fun green/gold sample rectangle (the beauty isn't resonating through the picture so feel free to imagine). I Velcro it to the top so that I can put my box of random gifts in the back so they are hidden. The presents I buy on clearance and then save for that right occasion , and it also makes a great backdrop for the frames ect...we put in front of it.

I know that bookcases are necessary, but I hate seeing the clutter. We have put fabric from the dollar section at wal-mart and covered the bookcases. On top of the bookcases are Martha Stewart napkins from the clearance section after Christmas, I don't think they look Christmas so they are out all year round

This is a bookshelf that has been covered and then I added some of the sample squared I got at the thrift store I really like how laying those diamond wise looks, they are all the same pattern with subtle color variations.

No comments:

Post a Comment