Friday, June 5, 2009

I am a prostitute

Last week when I was at work I tried to be intentional about reading my bible for a 30min while at work for 12hr. I didn't really do that great but I did pray that God would give me something.... and he did.

I opened the bible to Jeremiah chapter 2, I saw myself in that chapter. I was the loved bride who had become a prostitute. The bold statements are my first reactions to reading these chapters. I haven't gone back to look at them...maybe because I am scared?

Just thought I would share something that challenged me. I find myself longing to be challenged...but maybe I didn't mean like this? (grin)

chapter 1
The Call of Jeremiah
4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,
5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."
6 "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."
An almost 28 year old child.
7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.
8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.
9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth.
17 "Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them.
Wow.
18 Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land—against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land.
19 They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.

chapter 2
Israel Forsakes God
1 The word of the LORD came to me:
2 "Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem: " 'I remember the devotion of your youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the desert, through a land not sown.
3 Israel was holy to the LORD, the firstfruits of his harvest; all who devoured her were held guilty, and disaster overtook them,' " declares the LORD.
4 Hear the word of the LORD, O house of Jacob, all you clans of the house of Israel.
5 This is what the LORD says: "What fault did your fathers find in me, that they strayed so far from me? They followed worthless idols and became worthless themselves.
Powerful.
6 They did not ask, 'Where is the LORD, who brought us up out of Egypt and led us through the barren wilderness, through a land of deserts and rifts, a land of drought and darkness, a land where no one travels and no one lives?'
7 I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and made my inheritance detestable.
11 Has a nation ever changed its gods? (Yet they are not gods at all.) But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols.
What have I exchanged my glory for?
17 Have you not brought this on yourselves by forsaking the LORD your God when he led you in the way? When have I been lead in his way?
19 Your wickedness will punish you; your backsliding will rebuke you. Consider then and realize how evil and bitter it is for you when you forsake the LORD your God and have no awe of me," What have been my consequences? declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty.
20 "Long ago you broke off your yoke and tore off your bonds; you said, 'I will not serve you!' Indeed, on every high hill and under every spreading tree you lay down as a prostitute.
I am a prostitute.
21 I had planted you like a choice vine of sound and reliable stock. How then did you turn against me into a corrupt, wild vine?
22 Although you wash yourself with soda and use an abundance of soap, the stain of your guilt is still before me," What are my stains? declares the Sovereign LORD.
25 Do not run until your feet are bare and your throat is dry. But you said, 'It's no use! I love foreign gods, and I must go after them.'
26 "As a thief is disgraced when he is caught,
How many times have I been ''caught''?
so the house of Israel is disgraced— they, their kings and their officials, their priests and their prophets.
27 They say to wood, 'You are my father,' and to stone, 'You gave me birth.' They have turned their backs to me and not their faces;
Being two faced?
yet when they are in trouble, they say, 'Come and save us!'
28 Where then are the gods you made for yourselves? Let them come if they can save you when you are in trouble!
What have I given control to...did I think that those things would save me when I'm in trouble?
For you have as many gods as you have towns, O Judah
32 Does a maiden forget her jewelry, a bride her wedding ornaments? Yet my people have forgotten me, days without number. How many days do I forget God completely?

chapter 3
But you have lived as a prostitute with many lovers— would you now return to me?" declares the LORD.
2 "Look up to the barren heights and see. Is there any place where you have not been ravished? By the roadside you sat waiting for lovers, sat like a nomad in the desert. You have defiled the land with your prostitution and wickedness.
What lovers do I prostitute myself with?
3 Therefore the showers have been withheld, and no spring rains have fallen.
Desert times?
Yet you have the brazen look of a prostitute; you refuse to blush with shame.
Pride, no-shame... What stops me from feeling those emotions?
14 "Return, faithless people," declares the LORD, "for I am your husband. I will choose you—one from a town and two from a clan—and bring you to Zion.
15 Then I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding.
I need a shepherd, man...do I need a shepherd.
22 "Return, faithless people; I will cure you of backsliding."
Cure...cure meaning holiness/sanctification?

Chapter 4
1 "If you will return, O Israel, return to me," declares the LORD. "If you put your detestable idols out of my sight and no longer go astray,
2 and if in a truthful, just and righteous way you swear, 'As surely as the LORD lives,' then the nations will be blessed by him and in him they will glory."
3 This is what the LORD says to the men of Judah and to Jerusalem: "Break up your unplowed ground and do not sow among thorns. 4 Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, circumcise your hearts, you men of Judah and people of Jerusalem, or my wrath will break out and burn like fire because of the evil you have done—burn with no one to quench it.
What have I been attempting to quench my thirst?

No comments:

Post a Comment